With summer just around the corner and the thermometer rising you’re going to be spending a lot more time outdoors – this is good. However with all that time in the sun there are a few important tips you should remember for staying in peak health throughout the coming months…
Heat slows the body’s metabolism so you need fewer calories in summer than you do in winter because your body doesn’t have to create as much heat on its own. To avoid gaining excess weight during the summer remember to follow these three steps:
- Eat low calorie, nutrient-rich foods like fruits and vegetables. They supply a great source of water and potassium, which are lost in sweat.
- Try to get protein mainly from vegetarian sources like soy and lentils, as well as limited amounts from fish.
- Limit your intake of foods that are nutrient-poor. These include anything found in a package, rich in fats and carbohydrates, and lacking in essential nutrients.
Drinking Enough Water
During the summer months, your body will lose more water through perspiration than it will during the winter. Depending upon the amount of perspiration you generate water lost through the skin can increase dramatically. Here is a simple guide to staying hydrated during the hot summer:
- Drink four or more cups of water per day
- Drink six or more non-caloric drinks (homemade ice-tea and lemonade are great).
- Eat fruits and vegetables that contain 35-50% water (i.e. tomatoes, watermelon, citrus fruits).
- Make sure to add a little salt when cooking (salt is lost in sweat and it must be replaced or your body can’t retain enough water).
It’s doubly important to stay active during the summer months and be extra careful to avoid sun poisoning, sun damage and heat exhaustion. Remember these tips:
- Don’t overdo it in the heat, stay hydrated and rest more often.
- Remember to always wear sunscreen when outdoors.
- Consider modifying your routines, for example: swimming instead of jogging or working out in the gym instead of outdoors.
Remember, your body is the fist level in the Pyramid of Mastery. You must take care of it and nurture it so it supports you in a life of passion and excellence!
What are your best summer workout tips?